Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Big D: Day 57

20 May
We are 57 days into this deployment and things have been pretty quiet for us, thank goodness. I have been asked to lead a group at the bible study I go to in the city and finally found a church home. It's been good but weird to begin to feel so established here without my husband. I wonder often what his adjustment period will be like when he comes home because this place was hardly "home" to him before he left and it's become "home" to me in his absence.

Hazard pay and separation pay kicked in last pay period so for the first time in like 4 years, money isn't tight. I would give it up to have my husband home again but I'll take it, I guess! We're saving up for a Disney vacation during his block leave and just the simplicity of talking about it and planning it has lifted both of our spirits. He says his commanders are "confirmed" to be "trying" to get them home early but I'm not holding my breath, lol.

He ended up taking his turn at the remote base, which has been good and bad. Getting there was an ordeal. His plane out there was grounded and then he was kicked off the next flight so he had a long, difficult night and day of traveling in full gear (plus medic gear), but he's there now and went from having a nice big room all to himself to having 2 roommates squished into a little space. The base he's at now is smaller and dustier and doesn't have all the shopping and things but I think he'll be happier where he's at now. For one thing, because he'll be busier, but also because we were always the type to pick second shift because there were less head hanchos around and that's what it's like at this smaller base. He likes that it's more laid back and I think it's good for him to have roommates even though he can't skype with us at 0430 (8pm for us) anymore.

These pictures were posted on facebook the other day and it really got to me. Thought I'd share with you.
At the range
typical Afghan dust dorm












It really was about 115 degrees yesterday so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers!          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please comment if you feel led and I will do my best to answer it. -R